Friday 11 July 2008

Seraphina shawl finished




The Seraphina shawl is finished and is drying on bath towels on the spare bed at the moment. I am not happy with the finished shawl. It is not one of my better efforts. Maybe the pattern was wrong for the wool or maybe chenille is not the best yarn to crochet with. Crochet involves a lot of hand and hook movements which slightly twist the yarn. As the shawl has finished the chenille has started to shed it's twists leaving uneven loops in some of the stitches. the pattern is not showing neatly because of this. I have never known yarn to do this before and it has never happened to anything else I have crocheted so I am guessing that it is the chenille that doesn't have any twist to it as normal yarn does and this has caused the problem. I just hope that Lisa's daughter likes it. I am a bit of a perfectionist and I am not happy with this project but there is no way to right it except to cosmetically darn in all of the loose loops (of which there are many) or just to leave it with the rustic loopy look. I will crochet the pattern again as it is very straight forward but next time I will use "normal" wool.

I have spent a lot of time today looking at the new patterns on Garnstudio DROPS free pattern web site. They have some lovely crochet shawls and bags on there. I think I am all shawled out at the moment and will carry on knitting the socks for tonight until I decide on my next crochet project.

Buster is still a bit out of sorts and is very clingy. No more wee accidents but he does seem to have tummy ache today and keeps sighing and crying. I will just give him a bit of TLC later although it is a bit difficult to knit with a big lap dog on my knee.

2 comments:

ree said...

The shawl looks spectacular - the shape is lovely. I think you should be very proud of yourself I am sure the lucky recipient will be thrilled. Poor Buster, he might be feeling a bit insecure at the moment, what with his comings and goings from yours to your son's.

Anonymous said...

It looks great Jan! I have to laugh though because it looks like you're being consumed by green moss. Watch out! lol
I'm sure she'll love it, it's what she asked for.

I hope Buster feels back to normal soon. Poor baby.