Thursday 17 July 2008

I wish I had made this pattern first





When I first started crocheting from the Everyday Crochet Book I should have started with this pattern. The instructions are beautifully clear and easy to understand and I have only gone Huh! once on this pattern and that was only because I had misread the row.Stitch markers are an absolute must for this pattern though as it is hard to distinguish the lace shaping from the normal lace. I think it is working up well and as I am only on my second ball I think there will be enough cotton for it to be a similar length to the pattern.

I had two pieces of sad news yesterday. I bumped into a friend walking her dog who I haven't seen in a long time and discovered that her husband passed away in January. She doesn't live that far from me but as I no longer work I haven't walked past her house in a long time. We were close friends back in the days when Ian and her children were all small but drifted apart as I started working full time. Sad news. he was only 64,

My other sad news was concerning my neighbour Julie, Buddy the lawn visitor's mum, who I also met whilst walking Buster. She told me that her chemotherapy treatment had not worked. What do you say to someone in those circumstances. I found it very hard. I have previously tried to keep her upbeat about her hair loss and sickness saying it was temporary and things like that but when she said it had all been in vain I just didn't know what to say. She has elected to have surgery to try to remove the last lump (They found 6 lumps on her organs but only removed 5) but the outcome is very uncertain. She is such a lovely young woman. I am trying to stay positive for her. Things like this make my problems fade into insignificance.

Today I have woken up to the sound of rain and it looks like it has set in for the day. I have the feeling that I am going to get very wet on my way to the shops this morning and walking Buster this afternoon. Thank goodness I have a couple of waterproof jackets.

6 comments:

Crobbles said...

I'm very glad I gave you that lilac cotton :-)

So sorry to here about your neighbour and friend's hubby. It is difficult to know what to say, but listening and showing your care can make a huge difference.

June said...

The lilac waistcoat is coming along very well. It is very helpful to know that the instructions are easier to understand and you have inspired me to have a go at crocheting one for myself.

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

looking good Jan, you inspired me to get some of the Hundertwasser yarn it looked so good on your socks:)
Isn't life unfair sometimes? I think like Vicky that just showing you care will help your neighbour and your friend
amber

Rose said...

So sorry to hear of your friends illness as you say it makes our worries fade into insignifisence and your other friend dying so young too. Love the shrug, don't know when I will get chance to start my crochet again !!!

Cinders said...

love your crocheting. sory to hear about your friends huby and your friend with caner. Its very difficult to know what to say I know. My mum has been fighting the big C for 4 years and had 3 lots of chemo.
Makes me thankful, that even with all my disabilities and pain it isnt fatal.

Mad about Craft said...

News like that leaves a very sad feeling very deep inside.