Thursday 26 August 2010

Things Jump Into My Basket - It's Not My Fault



I had done so well this year with my New Year resolution not to keep adding to my stash but like the Yarn Junkie that I am I have had a relapse lately. It's getting to the stage where my credit card lives next to my PC and that is surely a bad sign!

As I was so pleased with the Cinnabar in King Cole Riot that I just had to order another colour - well it is still free postage at Texere until the end of August. I don't know how it happened but another 5 balls of wool of something else finished up in my basket. I am just a sucker for free postage offers. Does that happen to you? Do you get uncontrollable "Add to my Basket" urges? Or is it just me? I never used to be like this. Since I can't get out to choose my own wool I have gone Internet shopping mad. It wouldn't be so bad if I stopped there but no I had to go on to the Purplelinda site to browse the crochet patterns and finished up with even more wool and patterns. Drag me away from the PC and cut up my credit card please!

Sue, if you are reading this I do still want to stash enhance if we get the chance as who knows when I will be fit enough to do it after my op. Other women go mad to have a clothes or shoe spending spree but I drool at the thought of seeing wool en masse. My friend is hopefully signing the lease for her wool shop Purl City Yarns today so I will let you know when she is up and running and what she will be stocking. Yet another place to stash enhance. Did I mention that I drool at new wool? Bliss oh bliss to fondle wool in person when she opens. I shall be blatantly plugging her shop and web site so be warned. Unfortunately for me she will probably be opening when I am recovering from my knee op (She says hopefully with fingers crossed)

Since I got the 3rd proposed operation date I am using this as an excuse to stock up my stash again. To be fair I have used up quite a bit of donated stash since Christmas and the sweater that I have started is with some James C Brett Marble DK that I have had in stash for at least 18 months. I bought it from the market stall on Bury market and I haven't been up there for ages. Once again I am a Doris Chan groupie. I am making the No Sweat from the Everyday crochet book. I have made similar sweaters to this one but never this exact one although Doris's sweater designs all start off in the same way. This one has side splits which will come in useful for my ever spreading derriere.

Sorry Bev if I made you add the Lucinda Guy book to your shopping cart. My bad habits are rubbing off on you. I still have some books from Amazon on pre order that should be arriving soon so you will just have to close your eyes Bev as I think 2 of them are baby crochet books. Just tell your other half that I am leading you astray and you are powerless and so have to follow me into the book store. Ha Ha. If I live to 100 I will never make everything from my books. I love browsing them though. Other people read novels I browse my crochet books and magazines.

I have just scooted up to Tesco for some food. Boy does it feel good to get out and about. People are so kind to me and ask me can I manage and do I want anything getting from the shelves. It just feels nice to shop and get back in about an hour and be able to put my shopping away without my knees killing me. Why did I not buy one earlier? Oh I know, I didn't have the money then. Thank goodness for my disability money. It is paying for my recliner and my scooter. By the time they stop the money I will have paid for everything and it will be mine. Well that is what they give the extra money to me for - to make my life easier until my knees are hopefully sorted out after my ops.

7 comments:

June said...

I love James C Brett's Marble and that colour is gorgeous. No wonder that you just had to have it Jan. I can see that being another beautiful sweater for the winter months.

Anonymous said...

You're wicked, wicked, wicked. But I love you anyway. I'm loving the color you chose for this next sweater. Gorgeous!

Enid said...

you are being wise, in stocking up for winter!!!!that is a glorious lilac
xx

Mad about Craft said...

I am like you, only my downfall are quilting magazines!

Unknown said...

The colours you choose are lovely.. I am amazed how quickly you crochet.. It is always a pleasure to read your blog :)) Inspiring...

marg41 said...

Jan, with all the up's and down's you have had in your life, you need to treat yourself every now and then! Go for it girl, my grandma used to say you can not take it with you when you go (not that you are going anytime soon!!) and they do not put pockets in shrouds. I love my wool and my pattern books. Living in a sub tropical area, we do not have local yarn shops, they have them in the bigger cities, so I enjoy my visits when I can. Have a wonderful weekend.

Unknown said...

You know, Jan, my sister says it is ok to drool around new yarn as drool dries. I have found a place that sells the James C Brett here so have used some of it and it is really nice. I would think that they would leave your money alone since you qualify for it now and you probably have qualified for it for awhile. Wishing you the greatest of luck in getting your operation this time. You have to have both knees done don't you? I think if so you will be having two operations then as they don't do both at the same time. LynnA