Wednesday 18 August 2010

I Like My Mistake Shawl






Now that I have finished off the Granny Shawl from Inside crochet Issue 9 by Julie Armstrong Holetz that I made the mistake on I am glad that I did not unravel it. I made the mistake of only decreasing the side arms of the shawl on one edge instead of both and finished up with a very elongated shawl that was a cross between a scarf and a shawl. I am definitely going to make another of these using better quality wool next time. I think that I will try to amend it so that I can use the fine Reflections DK that I bought. If it was on a larger hook it would be more openwork so would need less rows on the body part and therefore take less wool. I am not sure how much wool this shawl took in 4ply as it was from a stash ball without a label. I would suspect that the ball was around 200 grams and I have used about 3/4 of it. The Reflections wool is only in 100 gram balls although the one without the lurex thread has a very good yardage.

It's funny how often mistakes turn out for the better. This version wraps around my neck in either direction with still plenty left to tie or throw over my shoulders. I have tried draping it in many ways and it looks good whichever way I put it. I think that it is because the pointed bit of the shawl is quite shallow. Whatever it is I am listing this as one of my successful mistakes.

Pearl is now an enigma. Her shopping bags came today from Argos and the brand name on the is Enigma, At least it will cover up the granny type stickers on the back of the scooter seat. The smaller bag fits around the steering column and I think will be large enough to hold my waterproofs when they arrive. I have ordered a really large size so that they will fit over anything that I am wearing if I get caught in the rain whilst I am shopping. I can't bear that too tight uncomfortable feeling I like room to breathe. Yes they will make me look huge but who cares. I don't.

The rain has been on and off again today so as you can see Buster has his unhappy face on. He can't understand why pegging a shawl on the line is more important than throwing a ball for him. I doubt if I will venture out today as I know the minute that I set off the heavens will open. At the moment he is being entertained by a delivery wagon with a big crane which is delivering top soil to the house across the road. He is on his seat in the window (excuse me but didn't that used to be MY recliner?) watching the world go by and guarding the street.

What shall I make next? I wish that I could drum up some enthusiasm for either the boys knitted hoodies or the fine red shawl but they are not inspiring me today. Time for a pattern browse I think.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful mistake!!!!

crazymotheringchick said...

Looks lovely. So nice when you love what you made.

June said...

Happy mistake Jan. It looks really nice and cosy

Anonymous said...

Have you been visiting Cat Fry's blog? She's posted some great tutorials on Tunisian the last few days. This is today's:
http://learninglovingcrochet.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Love it and the colour is fabulous.

marg41 said...

That is one beautiful mistake!!I just love the look on Buster's face, he's sure knows how to tug at the heart strings.

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

looks so good Jan:)