Monday 16 August 2010

My New Best Friend Pearl



This is my new best friend. I got fed up of waiting for my son to get me a scooter so I rang up the Mobility shop and they had this second hand one brought in at the weekend. Apparently it's previous owner had it from new for 3 months but decided that it didn't go fast enough for him (typical male) and traded it for a larger one. I would have liked a larger one if I am honest but they cost so much money and this was half the price that it was when new so I jumped at the chance to buy it. I had rung the mobility shop a couple of times but what they had in was too expensive. I will call her Pearl as that is the name of the model. It's a Pearl 4 wheeled scooter by Sunrise Medical. I will however have to think of ways to attach a shopping bag on the back of the seat as there is no way I can shop with such a tiny basket on the front. I can feel the customisation feeling washing over me. Time to get creative methinks. For the time being I shall be a bag lady with shopping swinging from the chair arms and the handle bars as I wobble down the road. I know that I can go out shopping every day but if I had to buy washing powder and other large items then the basket would be full before I started with any food.

My son is angry with me because I bought a scooter when if I had waited I could probably have got one a lot cheaper from his friend. What he doesn't realise is that I have been waiting for quite a number of weeks for one and the longer I wait the more stir crazy I am getting. Having to ask neighbours to post parcels for me and get me a loaf of bread is embarrassing. Now I can nip up the shops and do things for myself. I can't go far as it only has a range of 10-15 miles. The reason for the difference is that if I lived on the flat I would probably get 15 miles per charge but as I live on hills then it is more likely to be only 10 or so. As long as I can get to the village shops, the Post Office,the doctors and Tesco then I will be happy.

I went out on my maiden voyage today with Buster running along behind. I gave up on the lead as he kept running in front of the wheels and I was scared of running him over. I soon found out that he can't run at 4mph and I had to keep stopping and going slow whilst he caught up. I haven't quit learned to control the acceleration yet.I also discovered that a lot of the pavements around here don't have sloping ramps and I had to keep reversing to find a driveway and use the road a lot more than I would have liked. I will try a different route tomorrow. I found that I could have got through the stiles into the park but I couldn't get up the kerb that led to the gates. That's the problem with living in older streets. They just don't cater for wheelchairs or scooters. Plus the streets are so narrow that cars are parked half on the pavements and I can't get through and so have to go on the road which is a bit scary.

With all the excitement of today I haven't done any crochet. I have made a boob with my shawl but I am leaving it and making the other side to match. I misread the pattern and only decreased on one side of the side piece of the shawl instead of at both sides so I now have a much longer side piece than the pattern. I have enough wool to make the second side the same size so I will carry one. It has turned out a bit deeper than I would have liked it to be. I am still in search of the perfect crochet neckerchief type shawlette. With everyone that I make I am getting nearer to getting it right. I am glad that I used stash wool as I hope to get it perfect when I use my new wools.

7 comments:

June said...

How exciting Jan, I really like the look of Pearl. Now you will be mobile and be able to get to the shops again. What wonderful inventions these scooters are. I see lots of people out shopping with them in our town. I am so pleased that you managed to get one at a bargain price. Go Jan!

Anonymous said...

Love your new scooter. I have one that is candy apple red almost exactly like it. Get one of those bright orange flags to hook on to it and that way you will be much more safe when out on the streets. Mine came with a large basket to go on the back and I bought a larger one to go on the front. The shops are too far away for me to drive to around here but it's great to have for trips about the neighborhood and when we take little trips here and there. I now get to be part of the fun and it's nice to be able to do so much more. I'm excited for you, Jan.

Mad about Craft said...

Welcome Pearl, you are going to be a great asset! Now be good for your Aunty Jan and make sure you go where she wants to go

Posy Linda said...

You and Pearl will become "fast" friends! Enjoy your well deserved freedom!

crazymotheringchick said...

Yay for you! I'm sure Pearl is going to be a Godsend. Enjoy!

Molly said...

Hi, I have MS and I love my powered wheelchair. I do look like a bag lady because I have them hanging from everyplace. I did learn one thing, instead of a purse I use a backpack, it really works much better and holds a lot. Enjoy Pearl, what a perfect friend.

marg41 said...

I have a very active imagination, and I could just picture you and Buster going for a run! So pleased for you Jan, it will be like a new lease on life for you. I love the look of Pearl and I hope you have many happy outings on her. Enjoy your freedom Jan, you deserve it.