Thursday 1 July 2010

Inside Crochet Number 8











I ordered Inside Crochet issue 8 yesterday afternoon from Newstand.co.uk and not only are they the cheapest with their P&P it arrived first thing this morning. In the past I have not always liked many things in the Inside Crochet Magazine but this issue is a pleasant exception. One of their best issues so far in my opinion.

The Summer Cardi by Annette Petavy which is on the front cover would be a quick DK openwork cover up for those summer days. Well the odd few days that we do have. It would also work over a plain fine sweater as an extra layer once the weather turns colder.

The Tea Cosy by Hooked on Crochet would have come in very handy when I was making the tea cosies for Towneley Hall and is indeed similar to one that I made with a daffodil on it.

I like the Summer Wrap by Linda Permann as although it gives the illusion of being a circular motif it is actually a square. Even with all of the crochet that I have done over the years I have never successfully managed to link rounds together to make anything.

The Belgian Baby Tank by Robin Chachula is a sweet little top in DK which would work over a T shirt as we rarely get the weather to wear it on it's own.

The Marbella Capelet by Amanda Perkins is made with very pretty coloured Natural Dye Studio 4ply and the pattern is very sweet but I doubt if I would have a use for a pop over mini poncho. I supposed that it could be altered to make a shawl or wrap.

The Beaded belt by Marlaina Bird is very versatile in that it can be used as a slim scarf or a hair band tie. It is beaded within the crochet. That is another technique that I have not yet tried.

I love the navy bolero by Amy O'Neill Houck and will have to find someone with smaller boobs to make this for. I do admire people who have the right figure for wearing such a top but I am afraid that I am too plump to do justice to anything this tiny. It would be very quick to make as the wool is doubled throughout and the hook is a 6.50mm.

I bought the magazine after chatting to June (Jolive on Ravelry) who is making the pink, lilac and cream Square Tie Top by Sian Brown. It is crocheted in a 4ply so would make a nice light summer weight cardigan. I like the colours chosen and the granny squares combined with stripes makes it that bit different.

Although I have mentioned before that I don't crochet bags I do like this Cornrows Bag by Pyo Gazell. As it is an aran thickness and crocheted on a 4mm hook it should come out a nice firm tension. It would need lining, of course, and that is one reason why I don't make bags as I am rubbish at sewing.

There are articles in the magazine about Woolfest, the usual book reviews. The usual pages full of articles about designers and their wools. I have put on here the photo that accompanies the article about Jo Hamilton as I just love the little collage made from crochet showing streets of houses and buildings which would look very impressive in real life as a artistic exhibition of crochet .

I am slowly getting on with my crochet although I did have to unravel some of the baby cardigan as it was turning out too long to the armhole division so I had to improvise a little. The blue cardigan has a little bit more done on it as well.

After all the sleep that I had yesterday I was surprised to feel tired just after 11 pm last night. I decided to go to bed and although I did toss and turn until 1.30am I did manage to fall asleep in the end so I feel more refreshed today.

Poppy has just come in the patio door to show me her new haircut. She has lost all of her rough coat and is now a sleek slimmer terrier. I have just taken in a delivery of wine ( for one of the neighbours who isn't in) and it all looks very tempting in it's box. I hope that the neighbour comes home soon and takes away these 12 bottles of temptation.

1 comment:

LeahB said...

I puchased the Inside Crochet thru Yudu for the online version. I love Robyn Chachula's Belgian Baby Tank, unfortunately I can't figure out the American way of making it. I've been able to translate several patterns from other issues, but this one has me stumped. I may need to contact Robyn on Facebook and see if she will provide the U.S. pattern. My Mum was English and I learned to knit from her. I've grown up reading English magazines but I still can't get used to following the patterns! I have a 2 year old grand-niece and fully intend on figuring this one out so I can make it for her. I love how it is shown in the magazine. It's something that could be dressed up or down. I'd love this to wear!