Saturday 15 November 2008

Woken from a lovely dream









I was having a lovely dream last night. It involved my last ex M who I love dearly (no it wasn't one of "those" kind of dreams) and so I was a bit aggrieved to be woken abruptly by a banging on my door. Could it be that the old wives tale Friday's dream on Saturday told will come true before it is old? Alas no it wasn't M at the door but the postman with my books from Amazon. In case you are wondering if I am lucky enough to have a postman who calls early I should explain that I had snoozed in and it was after 10am!

Even though I would rather have stayed in my dream I did forgive the postman when I saw my new books. Wrapped in Crochet by Kristin Omdahl (designer of the Belize wrap that I made for Vicky's birthday) and Boutique Knits by Laura Irwin. I have not perused them in depth yet as I don't want to be tempted into starting something before I have finished my Christmas knitting. I have posted a few photos from each book. Ambermoggie will love the crochet circular wrap jacket that is featured on the back cover of the book. There are some wonderful shawls in there but some I will admire but never make. I don't know why but I have an absolute hatred of making circular motifs that have to be joined together as I go along. I also make a hash of very spidery crochet flower motifs involving copious amounts of chains as I always get them twisted and get really annoyed. The scarf I have featured is made up from 3 long curly strips fastened together at intervals with chain.

The knitting book has some weird and wonderful things in it. Mostly I would not make any of them for myself but I can see my daughter in law in the gauntlet fingerless mittens if I make them in black or dark purple. There are some unusual hats in the book and I wish I looked OK in a knitted hat but I just know that if I make any of these for myself they will end up on the donation or gift pile. There are a couple of felted bags that my knitting club members might like. I am old school and it breaks my heart to buy expensive wool and felt it. Felted brings back to me too many memories of lovely sweaters accidentally put in the washer and rendered unwearable. Why does it always have to be one of your best designs that gets ruined?

Yesterday I met up with Sylvia and Bill in Bury market. We browsed the wool stall, got a few balls of wool and then had a bit of lunch in Othello's cafe. On the way home I picked up my prescription from the doctors and then the chemist said it would be 20 mins to wait. I decided to pop into Iceland then met up with a friend who has recently lost her husband so after a half hour of sympathy I walked home. I had, of course, completely forgotten to go back to the chemist so I had to get dressed and quickly dash up there this morning before they closed at 12 to rescue my presription. I didn't fancy a banging headache and fat(ter) ankles this weekend through not having my blood pressure tablets.

I have just started the second sleeve of my niece's jacket so the end is in sight.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

I'm with you on felting. I just can't bear to do it.

Those patterns are just lovely. I can't wait to see what you produce from the books.

Have you been to The Fairy GodKnitter's blog? She just crocheted a shawl that is superb and I thought of you when I saw it.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, definitely have to forgive the postman for that! Lovely photos. I think my mother would love the wrap patterns, and I really like the gauntlets.

June said...

Worth being woken up for. It is always exciting to get new pattern books. Looking forward to seeing what you make from them once you start on crochet again.

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

fabulous Jan:)