Thursday 10 September 2009

Is Granny Square Love Hereditary?



I think my love of crochet granny squares is hereditary. This beautiful granny square bedspread is adorning my bed at the moment as it used to on my Mum and Dad's bed many years ago. Anyone who knows me knows that I will turn out a granny square at the drop of a hat so have I inherited it from my mother? She must have loved them to have made this many (it is for a king sized bed)

What amuses me is that she started off with quite subtle colours for the centre of her bedspread and then went a little crazy, colour wise, around the edges with her vibrant colours. It is more amusing to me as my mother was definitely an all shades of beige kind of lady and bright colours were never worn. I love it though despite the fact that every wash time is filled with trepidation. My mother did not use a chain to start off her granny squares. She wound the wool around her fingers and crocheted into the loop to make a tighter centre and over the years the centres have started to unravel so I have to repair some squares every time I wash the bed spread.

I thought I would show you the bedspread rather than show you my duplicated crochet as I make another of each of the last 2 baby garments that I am making at the moment.

Today I went to the dentist for a check up and all is well. The rest of me might be falling to bits but my teeth appear to be in good shape so that is a blessing. I hate having toothache so try to take care of my teeth as best I can. Having said that I have once again forgotten to buy a new head for my electric toothbrush. I keep walking past Superdrug. Perhaps I should tie a knot around my tooth instead of my finger to remind me.

4 comments:

Mattenylou said...

I love granny square afghans, too. I've made umpteen of them, usually starting them to diminish some of my stash at the moment. Of course, it always means 2 or 3 trips back to the yarn shop to pick up just a few more colors. I love it when I'm done, I end up with an afghan and a stash of all new colors! ... lol!

Mad about Craft said...

I opened up your blog and thought 'she's never crocheted that this afternoon has she?' I know you are fast but not that fast.

beautiful by the way

June said...

I think it must be hereditary Jan, as I can see where your talent came from now. I love granny squares, as they can be used for so many things and are so relaxing to do.

Beansieleigh said...

I have loved granny squares ever since I was taught to make them when I was just a young girl! I am working on a granny square afghan right now, in fact! Unfortunately we could not even eat dinner at my dining room table today because this afghan is all over it, still laid out as I rearrange and re-rearrange the squares around till I'm happy with how it looks! (I can be a little fussy!) I'm hoping to have it all done by next weekend, but we'll see!.. As for granny squares being hereditary?.. My mother did NOT like ANYTHING artistic or crafty.. She liked game shows and soap operas when I was a kid! I did have one grandmother who liked to crochet, but her favorite projects were anything done in ripples.. She made mostly afghans, pillows, and I remember even a few crocheted capes!.. Anyways, I'm glad to hear everything went well for you at the dentist! Have a wonderful weekend! Oh, and before I forget.. That afghan your mother made is BEAUTIFUL! ~tina