Friday 10 September 2010

The Postman Called Again











Amazon is really catching up with my pre orders. I got another book today. Crochet it, Love it, Wear it by Drew Emborsky otherwise known as the Crochet Dude. Unfortunately Amazon decided to call him the Crochet Dud on my invoice. That's not nice of you Amazon! I have not had the time to look through it properly so the photos will follow later.

As for the Inside Crochet magazine 10 I am disappointed with this issue. The last two issues have been much better and I thought that they were improving but sadly, for me, this issue falls a little short of the mark.

As Bev said yesterday the Damson Tunic (front cover see yesterday's post) doesn't cut it for me either. I am not a lover of asymmetrical on a good day but if you look at the bust line of this tunic it is pulling dreadfully so that the pattern doesn't line up across the neckline. Sorry Shannon Mullett-Bowlsby but this pattern a miss as far as I am concerned.

The Ammonite scarf by Ellen Gormley is quite a nice scarf as far as scarves go and Inside Crochet have shown a sample of the pattern made up in 6 different yarns which is useful to see how they make up. Otherwise I can take or leave the scarf.

The Mosaic bag by Annette Patavy is quite pretty if you are into crochet bags (which I am not) so that is another pattern that I won't be using.

The Tread sweater by Charles Voth has quite a nice pattern stitch which of course doesn't show up on the photo. The sweater is made side to side including the sleeves. Another miss as I don't have a man in my life to crochet for.

The Houndstooth Coat by Melissa Horozewski is almost an exact replica of a pattern that I have from the 60's featured in McCalls Needlework and Crafts magazine. It would be quite attractive on someone slim but I don't think that it would flatter my round shape.

The Fancy Pants Soakers by Chloe Nightingale would appeal to anyone who uses cloth diapers for their child. It has the skirt attached to the pants for modesty. Most of the people that I know with baby girls don't use cloth diapers so would be unimpressed with this pattern.

The Vintage Bolero by Zoe Clements is quite pretty but one again I think that it is more suited to someone slim. I do like the choice of colours though.

The Petal Beret by Linda Perman makes me wish that I suited a beret. I saw this on Ravelry and admired it's delicate pattern. Maybe it will suit one of my nieces and I will get to make it.

The Lakota cardigan by Marlaina Bird is one that I have mixed feelings about. Perhaps if it was in a different colour as I am not a lover of brown. The jury is out on this one.

Whilst I can admire the Kingfisher Toy by June Gilbank I have to confess that crocheting (or knitting) animals or amigurumi is just not my cup of tea. I would rather be crocheting something wearable any time.

This morning I had the company of the little black she cat from the house at the bottom of my garden. She came in out of the rain, ate and settled down to sleep on the chair. I had to put her outside when I was going shopping and she met up with Oscar the next door cat. A huge screeching fight went on and eventually she ran away. Oscar then banged on he window demanding to be let in but as he can't be trusted anymore not to spray I had to ignore him.

Thanks CajunBlu for your advice on the Tunisian crochet. I seem to be keeping my sides straight which I had a lot of trouble with when I first learned how to crochet. I will be getting my Learn Tunisian book and DVD back tomorrow so I will watch that again.

Tomorrow I am going up to Accrington market. I am going with my friend Rachael (from Artyarn) who is teaching people how to crochet in the Market Hall. As we will be outside Habiknit I might also be inside Habiknit :-)

3 comments:

crazymotheringchick said...

I spend a lot of time dreaming of that Crochet Dude book, I really want it. I am anxious to see your pictures, and what you think of the patterns.

I would like the Ellen Gormley scarf pattern, but not sure if I want to spend the $10 on the magazine for what looks to be the one pattern I like.

D. Carlen said...

I have let my subscriptions to Crochet, Crochet Today and another I can't remember off hand lapse. Instead, I go to our local Barns & Noble and look through...if I like some stuff inside, I buy. I know its cheaper to subscribe, but by and large I found for a good lot that I don't like whats inside, and that's a shame. A co-worker of mine gets published inside which is why I subscribed. Anyhow...nice blog and you're a very upbeat writer. Hugs from the USA, Donna

Zoe Clements said...

Hello - Zoe here, and thank you for your lovely comments on the Vintage Bolero! I designed it in the way of vintage patterns, so it is more of a recipe than a pattern, and can be adapted to all body shapes - including mine! Your blog is lovely, full of information and reviews - one I continue to visit when I can - thank you for all your hard work!