Tuesday 3 May 2011

Sirdar Mega Chunky Quick Knit Jacket


On the 27th April 10 balls of Sirdar Denim Ultra Mega Chunky and Sirdar pattern 9102 were sent to me by Kemps. On the 28th April the yarn was in my house and on the needles. I knitted my way through the Royal Wedding and by yesterday it was all sewn up and a matching hat made with the left overs. I had to cut the hat length a bit short as I didn't have a full 100 gram ball left over. It is still wearable even though it could have done with that extra inch on the length.


I am thinking of changing the buttons. These were the only ones that I had in my stash that were the right size but the next time that I am near a button shop then I will buy some different ones that match better. The jacket is super thick and much too warm to be worn indoors ( hence the matching hat) but as the wool cost me £19.90 plus 99p for the pattern I am pleased with the finished jacket. I will use this jacket when I am out on my scooter as I feel the cold even on a lovely day.

I am always rambling on about my knee so I thought that I would give you a pictorial update. Sorry if the sight of my leg has put you off your dinner. I know that I am a big girl (as you can see from the photos of me in my jacket) and so can't expect to have legs like Twiggy but this is what my knee looks like at the end of the day. If I have been out walking anywhere then it looks even bigger. My foot is swollen and has the lovely purple red hue that you can see on the photo. I am not convinced that this red rash is eczema as it is not responding to any of the creams and potions that I have been prescribed and it is now very itchy and the skin is bumpy. I only have to absentmindedly scratch at it and it bleeds like mad.  My other leg is similarly afflicted with this scaly rash on my lower leg but the left leg isn't swollen like this knee. Now you can see why I can't bend it and find it difficult to walk around and do my chores.

The sun is shining again today but we still have that dratted wind. great for drying the towels on the line but not great for sitting out in the sunshine. I love to sit out and relax with my knitting or crochet in the garden. I have a sunshade umbrella that fits in the centre of the patio table so I can sunbathe without getting burnt. I still manage to get a bit of a tan in the summer despite not actually sitting out in the glare of the sun.

I have a lodger cat asleep on the bed. This time it is Oscar the black and white cat from next door. He came in early this morning, looking knackered after a night on the tiles, and is now in a deep sleep. He likes my house because it is quiet and no -one disturbs him. Next door has 2 teenagers and a 12 yrs old and so it can be a bit noisy at times so he can't get his proper relaxing sleep.

I have picked up my niece's knitted jacket again and finished off the front and started the last front. After that I have quite wide bands to knit so it will be a while yet before that is finished and stitched up.

My steam mop hasn't arrived yet so I have an excuse for not doing any cleaning in the kitchen today. It will probably arrive tomorrow and then I will have no excuse for not doing the mopping.

5 comments:

June said...

Lovely warm jacket Jan and so good that you have managed to get a hat out of it too. Your knee looks quite swollen and it must be hard for you to do your housework with such a sore knee. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Nina O'Brien said...

hi Jan - I hope you dont mind me telling you this here- but the redness on your leg looks like celitus to me - if its itchy, red, flaky then that more or likely could be it, it comes on after any hospital visits - its just the water under your skin cells having an infection - you might need an antibiotic and keep the leg up and after 5days it will clear up .. . love the jacket also

Nina O'Brien said...

hi Jan - I hope you dont mind me telling you this here- but the redness on your leg looks like celitus to me - if its itchy, red, flaky then that more or likely could be it, it comes on after any hospital visits - its just the water under your skin cells having an infection - you might need an antibiotic and keep the leg up and after 5days it will clear up .. . love the jacket also

melanie said...

Love the jacket, it is really lovely Jan :)Hope your knee gets better soon, you poor thing xxx

Anonymous said...

Color very flattering on you! Very creative!