Thursday 27 August 2009

Catch Up Time





Catch up time. Where shall I start? I just haven't been in the mood for blogging for various reasons so took a break for a few days.

I will work backwards starting with today.

Today my friend and neighbour Julie is featured in the Sun newspaper being interviewed about her mis diagnosis of her ovarian cancer which almost cost her life.The doctors kept dismissing her symptoms as putting on weight even though her stomach swelled up so much she looked 9 months pregnant. This is one of the symptoms apparently but her doctors kept missing it. They kept telling her over the many times she visited them to diet and go jogging! By the time she got to Christies she had 5 large tumors on her ovaries and others on her pancreas, liver, womb and kidneys. Scary isn't it?

I am chatting online at the moment with an Athen's wool shop owner and trying to convince him to take some copies of the calendar when it is printed but he seems more interested in me than buying a calendar. Ah well at least I tried.

I need to go into the garden and take down one of the plastic greenhouses that is tilted over at a dangerous angle after the torrential rain and wind yesterday.

Yesterday I met up with Sylvia in Bolton to swop parcels. She had a parcel of wool for me to crochet some baby items with and I had a parcel of baby cardigans for her foster baby plus the surprise shawl that I had made for her. I had made it earlier but could not post photos of it on my blog as it was a surprise. It is, of course, the Blue Curacao shawl by Doris Chan from the Amazing Crochet Lace Book.

Sylvia and I met up with Deb and her daughter who were on a school bag and pencil shopping expedition and we all had a coffee and bun in the Costa. I made the mistake of wearing a pair of boots with a small heel and so my knee was very painful by the time I got back home again and I paid the price for trying to look a bit more elegant than my usual flat shoes. Vanity thy name is woman! My knee is still sore I just hope that It clears up before the weekend.

I had a compliment yesterday when a guy who lives in the Isle of Man contacted me on Yahoo and said "Is this you?" He had the link to the web cam photo that I took of myself knitting naked that he found on the Naked Knitting web site. I said yes it is and he said I was bloody gorgeous! Wow what a good way to start the day eh? I told him to buy a calendar so he could have me on his wall and he said I would rather have you!

Tuesday I looked after my next door neighbour's dogs,after my osteo appointment, as Sky News was coming to film and interview Julie about her ovarian cancer and her misdiagnosis. I didn't see it on Sky News as it was broadcast at 6am long before I was up out of bed but it can still be seen online if you go into Sky News and type in Ovarian cancer. It is under the heading of 80%.

On Tuesday I also got delivery of my new baby patterns. They came from a lady called Kay and she gave very prompt delivery as I only ordered them late on Sunday evening. As you can't actually see any of the baby cardigans in my photo I will put the link to her web site in my blog title. At £2 a pattern I think they are well worth the money. She also does online PDF's to save on the postage but I do like a proper pattern to work from.

On Monday the Bolton Knitting Noras were featured in the Manchester Evening News. I can't post a link to that as the paper didn't put us on their online web pages.

I went to the Kings Arms Knit Club on Monday night and had a good evening. I got chatting to a guy at the bar who turned out to be a reporter for the M.E.N. You never know who you are chatting to in a pub do you? I told him I had been mentioned in the article and he said he would look it up when he got hack in work on Tuesday. I said look for the bit about being the oldest model and he laughed and said but did it say a glamorous older model? Perhaps I should have removed his beer goggles.

Knit wise I am still ploughing on with my 4ply baby cardigans.Very slowly so I have started a cream baby blanket in crochet as this knitting malarky is driving me mad. I am so looking forward to starting the new baby crochet patterns but I must make myself finish this knitting first.

Hopefully I will be back to blogging as normal although I really do feel under the weather. Yesterday every bone in my body ached. I don't have any flu symptoms so it's not swine flu. I think it's just my arthritis reaction to all this wet weather.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The shawl was a lovely surprise thank you very much, its nice to see you blogging again.

Debbie T said...

How sad the news about your friend and neighbor, Julie! I hope all will turn out okay for her.
The shawl is lovely and was very sweet of you to make it for your friend!
I'm not sure if I told you or not Jan, but I love the pic of you knitting (almost) naked...very pretty!!!!

June said...

Such a pretty shawl Jan. I love the colour. I have bought patterns from Kay and they have always turned out really well.

Mattenylou said...

I love your baby crochet sweaters, always. The shawls you make are wonderful, too.

I hope everything turns out okay for your friend - may she have the strength to be well and healthy again.