Monday 18 February 2008

Oh Dear - I Am Unravelling Once Again




I unravelled the funny shaped front on my niece's crochet bolero last night. I completely gave up on the pattern instructions the way that the book had written it and did my own thing (Now there is a surprise!). All was well when I did the sleeve. I understood the shaping ( well most of them) and had to shorten it as I knew I was running short on the wool. However when I had finished the sleeve I weighed the remaining wool and I don't have enough for the second sleeve! Bummer! I have no time to try to track down another ball as
a) I have had it quite a while and my niece bought it anyway and
b)I have to give it to my brother before Wednesday
as he is taking it down to my niece in London so I guess I will be unripping part of the sleeve so that I will have enough wool for the second sleeve. More haste - less speed so they say. Wish me luck as I improvise once again with the sleeves.

I got a "new" mini hi -fi system last night courtesy of Realcycle (or Freecycle depending on your area)last night and for once I only had to travel within my town to pick it up. My system has stopped playing CD's and as it was a bit old I was unsure if I could get it repaired. I am not usually lucky when I ask for things that are offered. I have only been successful on a three occasions. I am always amazed at the amount of unwanted stuff offered for free on a daily basis. If you are on a tight budget or if you care about the landfill situation then please check it out. The only stipulation is that you must pick the things up yourself which is not always possible for me. There is no way I could pick up anything big or heavy. I also only ask for things within a certain radius as travelling miles to pick up something small is defeating the object as I am using fuel and therefore not doing my bit to save the planet. I think it is such a good idea though. One person's unwanted stuff is another person's treasure trove. I have used it to get rid of things that I no longer want but they still had plenty useful life left in them.

The sun is shining today but it is quite cold. I will wrap up warm whilst walking Buster. I have been wearing the doubled hat that I thought was too hot for me to wear these last few days.

No comments: