Saturday 28 July 2012

A Tour Around the Workroom

As I am starting to recover my energy, after feeling so lack lustre for weeks,  I spent yesterday swapping things about in the house. The video today is a tour of what I have achieved so far. There is still a lot more to do but when you consider that my house was beginning to resemble an episode of Hoarders then I am quite pleased with the results so far. As my friend says now that I have tidied it then it's time to use some of the yarn hoard before I buy anything else. As she is not a crocheter I resisted the urge to kill her. My crocheting friends understand fully where I am at but even they don't understand this compulsion that I seem to have for collecting (a nicer word than hoarding) all things crafty especially yarn related.

 I think that it all stems from my childhood when after the war everything was rationed and hard to get. My Mother used to hoard up anything that could be used or re-used.  Bits of wool and buttons. My Father was the same only he hoarded anything vaguely DIY like nails, screws, string and bits of wood. My aunt used to sew and saved all the offcuts from the dresses that she made, for other people, to make things for me. My Brother still has almost every book that he has bought in his lifetime, His house is like a huge library and his garage is wall to wall books. There is barely room for his small car.

 I think that you can safely say that hoarding is in my genes. We are a great family of collectors. My Son collects motor bikes and spares. His Father, my ex,  has a garage full of things that might come in useful one day.


This afternoon I am going to my Brother and Sister in Law's to meet up with the rest of their family to celebrate their Ruby Wedding Anniversary. I will see my Great Nephew J.P who is now 3 months old. I haven't seen him since he came up from London when he was a couple of weeks old. He will really look different this time. I believe that he is still a red head. My younger niece used to have reddish blonde hair as a child and her husband has red hair too.. His Dad and my Sister in law were also red headed when young so J.P had more than a 50/50 chance of red hair.

I had better hit the shower and get dressed. I knew that my new dresses would come in handy. Since I bought them I have had a few chances to wear them. Now if only the weather would stay sunny and then I can wear my new shorts and vest tops. I only wear them in the garden but the weather hasn't been warm enough for that except for a couple of days but that was before I bought them.

Happy Crocheting!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you come now and tidy up around my house? I could use it. ;-)

Looks great, Jan.

Dorothy said...

Thank you for the lovely tour of your craft room - its always nice to see other people's stash and the video seems to make it like a 'real visit'. Enjoy the rest of the weekend. xoxox

Haylees Hats said...

looks fantastic, you have been so busy. Well done. . I love the top, the colour is beautiful. The flower came out beautiful also. Much love Haylee x

Unknown said...

I know a few others that collect things because of war rationing memories..I take care of my mom 24/7 and she hoard...err collects everything!

Barbara said...

Love your craftroom, Thank you for the tour.

Hugs,
Barbara

Business Space Experts said...

Thank you for that tour! :) It seems like you get a lot of inspiration from your work room, and in the end, that is what is essential for someone who wants to be productive when making any kind of project.